Four years ago today, Zillow.com was born as a beta site. When we launched, we had 75 employees who spent many previous months building a living, breathing database that launched 40 million Zestimate® home values.
It was a revolutionary moment that kind of turned real estate on its head. A value on your home online for all to see? While we fully state that a Zestimate is just a starting point, it was a big move to make real estate data available about all homes — yours and your neighbors’ — open and online for everyone to see. People were eager to get their hands on it and we were happy to provide it.
But, that was just the beginning. Zillow now offers a wide variety of real estate products:
- Search millions of homes for sale, homes for rent and Make Me Move® homes
- Post a home for sale or post a home for rent
- Shop anonymously online for a customized mortgage quote using Zillow’s revolutionary borrower-focused Zillow Mortgage Marketplace
- Ask questions and share answers on any real estate topic through Zillow Advice
- Find real estate info and data on-the-go through the #1 real estate app for the iPhone — Zillow iPhone App
- Browse home improvement ideas with Dueling Digs
- Find a local agent, lender or real estate professional using the Zillow Directory
- Search local data for hundreds of cities and thousands of neighborhoods
And no birthday post is complete without some cool stats that don’t make our usual lineup of Zillow stats.
Zillow by the Numbers:
96,013,458 – Number of U.S. homes with data on Zillow today
70,176,310 — Number of individual homes viewed at least once on Zillow since launch (that’s 75% of all homes in the country — wow!)
21,117,128 — Number of homes on Zillow viewed through the Zillow iPhone App (from April 28, 2009 through Feb. 6, 2010).
17,860,700 — Homes on Zillow with edited home facts, by owners or agents
11,527,882 — Custom loan quotes since Zillow Mortgage Marketplace launched
1,333,758 — Agents with a profile on Zillow
923,935 — Number of Zillow iPhone App downloads.
681,572 — Consumer loan requests since Zillow Mortgage Marketplace launched (April, 2008)
1 — Number of times CEO Rich Barton talked to someone in space from work.
A Big Thanks to YOU
Lastly, we couldn’t have gotten to where we are without you — homeowners, home buyers, home sellers, property managers, renters, real estate agents, brokers, lenders, borrowers, appraisers, stagers, and many other real estate professionals who use Zillow. Without you, we wouldn’t have the 8+ million unique users we attract a month. So, a big thanks to you for using Zillow for your real estate needs. THANK YOU!